Resources Seminar Landscape Democracy 2015
---> Back to archive overview
- 1 Policy frameworks, laws and resolutions
- 2 Landscape Concepts
- 3 Participation Discourse and Concepts
- 4 Methods and Tools
Policy frameworks, laws and resolutions
- The Aarhus Convention on Access to Information, Public Participation in Decision-making and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters
Council of Europe
- The European Landscape Convention
- Presentation of the report Landscape and democracy: prospects by Yves Luginbühl for the Council of Europe
European Union (Parliament and Council)
- Directive on public access to environmental information
- Directive providing for public participation in respect of the drawing up of certain plans and programmes relating to the environment
- Strategic Environmental Assessment Directive
- Water Framework Directive
International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA-Europe)
European Council of Spatial Planners
- Antrop, Marc; Kühne, Olaf (2015) Concepts of Landscape, in: Landscape Culture - Culturing Landscapes. The Differentiated Construction of Landscapes (Bruns, Kühne, Schönwald, Theile ed.)
- Burckhardt, Lucius (1979): Why is landscape beautiful? in: Fezer/Schmitz (Eds.) Rethinking Man-made Environments (2012)
- Cosgrove, Denis (2004): Landscape and Landschaft. Lecture delivered at the “Spatial Turn in History” Symposium, German Historical Institute, February 19, 2004.
- Cosgrove, Denis. (1985): Prospect, Perspective and the Evolution of the Landscape Idea. In: Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, New Series, Vol. 10, No. 1 (1985),pp. 45-62. Published by: Blackwell Publishing on behalf of The Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers).
- Kucan, Ana (2007). Constructing Landscape Conceptions. In: ECLAS (ed.). JoLA spring 2007, 30-41. Munich: Callwey.
- Jackson, John Brinckerhoff (1980): "By way of conclusion. How to study the landscape" In: The necessity for ruins, and other topics, 113-126. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press.
- Lynch, Kevin. (1960): The Image of the City, Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press
- Meinig, D. W. (1979): "The Beholding Eye: Ten Versions of the Same Scene." In: The Interpretation of Ordinary Landscapes: Geographical Essays, edited by D. W. Meinig and John Brinckerhoff Jackson, 33-48. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Meinig, D.W. (1979): "Reading the landscape. An appreciation of W.G. Hoskins and J-B. Jackson." In: The Interpretation of ordinary landscapes: Geographical essays, edited by D. W. Meinig and John Brinckerhoff Jackson, 195-237. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Olwig, Kenneth R. (1996): "Recovering the Substantive Nature of Landscape" In: Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 86 (4), pp. 630-653. Cambridge/Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.
- Sieverts, Thomas (2003): Cities without cities. An interpretation of the Zwischenstadt. English language ed. London: Spon Press.
Participation Discourse and Concepts
- Arnstein, Sherry R.(1969): A Ladder of Citizen Participation, JAIP, Vol. 35, No. 4
- Burckhardt, Lucius (1957): Urban Planning and Democracy in: Fezer/Schmitz (Eds.) Rethinking Man-made Environments (2012)
- Burckhardt, Lucius (1974): Who plans the planning? in: Fezer/Schmitz (Eds.) Rethinking Man-made Environments (2012)
- Faga, Barbara (2006): Designing Public Consensus: The Civic Theater of Community Participation for Architects, Landscape Architects, Planners, and Urban Designers, Wiley (not open access)
- Patsy Healey (2004): Creativity and Urban Governance (not open access)
- Patsy Healey (1992): Planning through debate: The Communicative Turn in Planning Theory, The Town Planning Review
- Natarajan, Lucy (2015): Socio-spatial learning: A case study of community knowledge in participatory spatial planning, in: Progress in Plannig
- Sanoff, Henry (1999): Community Participation Methods in Design and Planning, Wiley (partly available via google books)
- Sanoff, Henry (2014): Multiple Views of Participatory Design, Focus
- Sayer, Jeffrey; et al.; (2013): Ten principles for a landscape approach to reconciling agriculture, conservation, and other competing land uses
- Jones, Michael, Stenseke, Marie (Eds.)(2001): The European Landscape Convention : challenges of participation, Springer (not open access)
- Selle, Klaus (1994): Was ist bloß mit der Planung los? Erkundungen auf dem Weg zum kooperativen Handeln.(GERMAN, not open access)
- Newman, Oscar (1972) Creating defensible places
- Webler, Thomas et al.: Public participation in decision making - A three-step procedure
- Webler, Thomas; Tuler, S., and Krueger, R. 2001. What is a good public participation process? Five perspectives from the public. Environmental Management 27(3):435-450.
Methods and Tools
- Participatory Action Research Toolkit: An Introduction to Using PAR as an Approachto Learning, Research and Action
- Project for Public Spaces (PPS): Ten Strategies for Transforming Cities and Public Spaces through Placemaking
- Wates, Nick: The Community Planning Handbook: How people can shape their cities, towns & villages in any part of the world (2nd ed 2014, Routledge)
- Storytelling example from the Scottish Islands
- Online decision making with loomio