Planting Design Assignment 1: Concept Mapping of Seminar Theme
- Assigned: Tuesday, 22nd of October
- Submission: Tuesday, 29th of October
This assignment aims to provide a representation of your existing knowledge of the seminar theme. The task is to develop a concept map on the focus question:
What is the relationship of nature and planting design?
Concept Mapping Method
The concept map needs to include concepts, relationships and linking words.
Before starting the exercise please read this article by Joseph D. Novak & Alberto J. Cañas about Theory Underlying Concept Maps and How to Construct and Use Them. This paper gives a good explanation of how concept maps are conceived and developed.
You can also listen to Mr. Novak personally on this video:
Concept Mapping Tools
You can use any tool you like for producing your concept map, it can even be a scan of a hand written map. However, since the result needs to be submitted digitally we recommend the following open source software for producing your maps:
- Format: Please save or convert your file to a PDF Format. The map should be well readable on an A3 sheet.
- Target group: This file will not be shown to the group. The purpose of this exercise is to identify the previous knowledge of the seminar participants and your file will only be read by the seminar coordinator. Therefore, please send your file per e-mail.
- This concept map will not be graded. However, the submission is compulsory for completing the course.