Green Infrastructure 2014 Group Q - Case Study 2
---> back to group page working group Q
Zambiza's old rubbish dump
|Name||Zambiza's old rubbish dump|
Rationale: Why is this case interesting?
The former landfill Zámbiza located northeast of the city of Quito since 2003 works as a garbage transfer station (after being the city landfill about 25 years). For the specific conditions of landfill, this site has become contamination risk for the city, so I see an opportunity for environmental improvement by the accumulation of methane gas, through a proposed ecological park and to recover the area through green infrastructure
I´m architect who have lived near to this landfill for many years, in my thesis is proposed a infrastructure like a recycle museum with classroom for making art with garbage. I think that It is important to complete this project with an adequate ecological intervention that will integrate this area with the city.
Landscape and/or urban context of your case
- Biogeography, cultural features, overall character, history and dynamics
- Illustrations: maps; sketches; short descriptive analyses
The Old Dump Zámbiza located northeast of the Metropolitan District of Quito, surrounded by two protagonists of the environment surrounding neighborhoods: Buenos Aires and Monteserrín. It has an approximate area of 20 ha. The area is a great plain of land along the main road, this space promises a natural growth of vegetation.
The study area becomes an obligatory point of passage to reach the new airport in Quito, and this sector is the union between the urban city and rural air of it. Rural areas are Zámbiza and Nayon.
The sector has a characteristic dry climate of the region Sierra of Ecuador for its altitude roughly about 2800, so that in almost all year round average temperature between 10 and 12 ° C, ie the vegetation is characterized by and paramo endemic species, but especially eucalyptus has been introduced as the most outstanding plant species in the area.
1. Urban Growth densely populated and disordering, this situation has been created makeshift roads with difficult access and poor aesthetic conditions.
2. Environmental pollution by garbage thrown on the slopes and corners
3. visual Rejection, by the inhabitants of the surrounding neighborhoods and the city.
1. Nice views of the Quito city.
2. Conection with principal road
3. Opportunity to reforestation
4. Create green spaces for recreation
Green Infrastructure benefits for this site
1. The strategy would prevent urban growth through the creation of green public spaces.
2. Management and collection of household solid waste, ie applying the review of the three R's, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. The idea is to encourage, train and educate people in the industry dweller on the activity of recycling.
3. Completely decontaminate the former landfill area, plant trees and create ecological parks, and connected by trails surrounding neighborhoods, to develop a common meeting productive and cultural activities to promote recycling.
Potential for multifunctionality
Old landfill Zambiza = Lung City / Park / Node connection between neighborhoods / Point of recreational, cultural encounter and natural. = Recycling
In two years this intervention could recover green spaces and integrate with the city, also a milestone and become a park and meeting also improve conditions surrounding neighborhoods
In five years this intervention could be the convention center on urban ecological topics, would become a tourist site for the recovery of vegetation.
Summary and conclusion
According to the analysis, a conclusion that articulates the urban proposal, this is, that the Old Dump Zámbiza is a negative reference to citizens of Quito and currently acts as a space divider between neighborhoods, along with the contamination was synthesized that still exists by the operation of the Transfer Station has become a wasteland and barren land as land use and environmental conditions analysis can be used as green infrastructure for the city, based on this premise, the points were analyzed meeting and public spaces required in this area, so that they were divided by their activity. We have five aspects which are: cultural and exhibition area, educational area, the area of contemplation and relaxation of nature, recreational and sports area and the area of forest and walk.
Please add further images/photos here
- please add your references here
About categories: You can add more categories with this tag: "", add your categories